|The Complete Dick Tracy Vol. 1|
|Publication date||November, 2006|
| Preceded by|
| Followed by|
The Complete Dick Tracy Vol. 2
The Complete Dick Tracy Volume 1 contains the strips written and drawn by Chester Gould originally published in newspapers between the dates October 12, 1931 and May 20th, 1933.
It introduces the original cast of main characters (Dick Tracy, Tess Trueheart, Chief Brandon, Pat Patton, Junior Tracy) and several prominent villains (Big Boy, Ribs Mocco, Texie Garcia, Broadway Bates, Stooge Viller, Steve the Tramp).
It includes the following storylines:
- Big Boy, Ribs Mocco, & Texie Garcia
- Dick Tracy the Beat Cop
- Broadway Bates
- The Buddy Waldorf kidnapping
- Alec Penn
- Kenneth Grebb (with a return appearance by Broadway Bates)
- Steve the Tramp and the introduction of Junior
- Dan Mucelli, and Texie Garcia returns
- Larceny Lu
- Dan Mucelli returns
- Ribs Mocco & Stooge Viller
- Steve the Tramp returns
The book also includes an introduction by Max Allan Collins and the original sample strips that Gould had produced under the title "Plainclothes Tracy".
- In addition to the ongoing storylines, the Sunday strips included in the early portion of the book feature stand-alone adventures unconnected to the daily strips. These often had a humorous element, such as Pat Patton suffering some indignity or one of Big Boy's bang being easily foiled and captured.
- The book includes a disclaimer acknowledging the presence of racial caricatures in the strips and states that they are "reprinted without alteration for historical reference".